"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind" (Mt 22:37). These are the two biggest commandments that the Bible gives to us and based on these two commandments our Church school operates. By God's Grace, we practise these and instruct our students in them. We educate the younger generation about:
- what it means to be a true Christian;
- how to rightly praise (правильно славити) the Lord in the Orthodox (православна) tradition;
- why we respect our neighbour not only within our closest, Canadian-Ukrainian community, but far beyond (see the two commandments above).
We see our students as little disciples of Christ who look to us to be educated about the Holy Trinity. We pray to the Lord to help us show to these children the True Way which they are to pursue as Jesus Christ teaches us, "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (Jn 14:6).
- We help families educate their children in the Orthodox Christian tradition.
- Students meet their Orthodox Christian peers.
- Those who have successfully completed a course get a certificate.
- Education at St. Vladimir's Church school is free.
- The school year is autumn through spring (no classes in summer).
- We have our classes on Sundays.
- Lessons start right after the Divine Liturgy.
- A lesson typically lasts about 60 minutes (we have only one lesson every Sunday):
- 15 minutes: light physical exercises, such as gymnastics or an active game in the gym;
- 5 minutes: a prayer before a meal followed by a light snack (in the class);
- 40 minutes for in-class learning in groups of similar age.
- While the students are at school, their parents are welcome to the Church hall to communicate with other congregation members and to have a snack.
- Why to volunteer:
- serve the Lord in one of the most honourable way of education;
- give back to your community;
- meet new people, your fellow Orthodox Christians;
- gain Canadian (volunteer) experience.
- How to volunteer:
- become a Church school instructor: for only a minimal commitment of one hour per week, you gain rich experience (no previous experience or detailed knowledge is required, but love to God, respect for the students and patience are);
- be an instructor substitute: if one of our instructors is unable to come to the class, be their substitute - one of the key requirements is to be a team player;
- be the sports leader: lead the 15-minute light workout with the students before the classes;
- become the food program manager: ensure that the students have the food after their workout and before classes.
- If you would like to learn more or ready to volunteer, contact us by using the "Contacts" section below.
If you would like to ask about St Vladimir's Church School, to volunteer and make a suggestion about the school, you can contact us by using the following email: email@example.com You can also stop by and speak with the parish priest or one of our volunteers. We look forward to your questions!